Saturday, March 8, 2008

Different

Different is the only word that comes to mind after attending our Stakes Relief Society birthday party last night. I've been in the Relief Society for 9 1/2 years and I know I have attended many birthday celebrations, but only two come to mind. I remember when we lived in Michigan having a spiritual message in the chapel, and then moving to the cultural hall where there were many service projects to participate in. There was birthday cake in the primary room that we could eat in between projects. We celebrated the Relief Society by giving relief to others.
This picture is from 2 years ago when we were 'dancing' the tango in Buenos Aires; I felt it was fitting for this post. After 2 1/2 years in Chile you would think I would know what to expect in many situations. Not the case. Husbands were invited and I knew that each ward was practicing a dance, so I figured there would be some spiritual messages and then we would watch the dances. Dave didn't come because he needed to work on a talk for stake conference tonight. In reality there was a brief spiritual message followed by the dancing: the tango, Charleston, swing, and some real hip-moving dancing from Columbia. When this was over it was announced that we had to be be finished with our dancing by 1:00 am. WHAT?!? It was a dance for everybody! And the lights were in no way dimmed. To tell you the truth, I hate dancing with Latinos. They have rhythm; I don't. It's still such a shocker to me to see both men and women of all ages, shapes and sizes out dancing like they are in high school! Even our Stake Patriarch was dancing. Needless to say, I stayed and talked with a few people and then gave other 'singles' a ride home.

Was one party better than the other? One was spiritually uplifting and I felt that I was doing good. The other was fun & made me want to take dance lessons with Dave (we have learned the cueca, the Chilean national dance, but I'd love to learn others). I would love to experience a Relief Society b-day party in other countries to see how they celebrate.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

that definitely sounds interesting. Certainly one to remember!

Ammon said...

I am crying with laughter! That picture is so hilarious!
I wish I had gone... I LOVE shakin' my money maker!

Christine said...

wow those chileans know how to party!! We are having our rs party next week and after hearing your story I am sure to be disappointed at mine!!

Clarke and Kamie said...

ok, that pic is hilarious!!! I had to show it to Clarke.
what an interesting meeting! I'm sure you have encountered lots of "differents"...

Suzette said...

Man, we really need to spice things up a bit here in the US! We just had our RS birthday celebration last week and I thought that the sherbet punch was exciting!

Unknown said...

Sounds exciting, funner with a hubby tho.

Sara Ann said...

That sounds like an awesome party! Americans are BORING! (I can say that because I am one, and I am boring).
I know what you mean about having no rhythym, when I dance all of my polynesian friends make fun of me!

katharine said...

maybe if we could move like they do, we'd be dancing too!

Backwoods Browns said...

That sounds like it was so fun! I think Americans need to learn to let go and enjoy ourselves(in a good way) more. Do we even have a Dance that everyone knows? I don't know. But it would be fun if we did!

emily said...

Good times in CHile! I love the picture! We have a similar one from our Argentina trip, but yours is definitely sexier!