Friday, December 7, 2007

Part of Life

Aftershocks just seem normal these days. We went a whole week without any larger than 4.0 until last night, and even then Dave didn't even notice it. It was a 5.1 30 miles north. We were playing Settlers when it started and I ran for the stairs (the girls were upstairs sleeping & you never know if the shaking is going to get stronger or not), and Dave pretty much just thought I was crazy.

About 1 1/2 weeks ago I was in the shower during a 6.1 earthquake and when I was done I found Ava watching TV. She casually mentioned that a bit ago the couch was shaking. I asked her if she was scared and she said no. We are very used to them at this point. I wonder how long it will be until we return to our pre-earthquake routines.

Something I found quite amusing... Susan and some people from her church had a meeting where they were discussing how the earthquake was really a 9.0, but the Chilean government was calling it a 7.7 because then they wouldn't have to replace all of the homes (I guess if it's 9.0 or higher they replace the homes). Not really sure where they got their information, but the USGS has it at a 7.7 also and I don't see why they would feel the need to downplay the intensity.

2 comments:

Jamey said...

That seems weird that you just get used to that. I guess you would though. Luckily they don't do a lot of damage every time.

Clarke and Kamie said...

Wow--all that earthquake stuff is pretty crazy!
Hope you guys are enjoying the holidays...isnt Christmas the best with little ones around!?