Sunday, December 16, 2007
I Won!
I'm not exactly sure what I won... we forgot to figure that out before the power came back on, so I'll think of a good prize for myself;). We bet on how big the earthquake was that rudely awoke us just after 5 this morning. Dave bet 6.4, I bet 6.8, Hailey bet 9.0 & Ava bet a watch. It came in at a whopping 6.7, so I am the champion (I'm starting to develop quite the gift for judging the size of earthquakes). The epicenter was 80 miles north of Antofagasta. It certainly wasn't as strong as the 1st earthquake, but I'm pretty sure it lasted longer than any I have ever felt... it just kept going & going. All 5 of us woke up... Hailey was crying, Dave says I was screaming (that's a 1st for me... I have stayed quite composed during the others). Nothing broke in our house this time around, although the upstairs bathroom now has quite a few hairline cracks. There is also some damage around the swimming pool (it had some cracks & a hole since the 1st earthquake, now part of the cement near the hole is collapsing). One funny thing is that there had been a crack in the ceiling in the TV room since we have lived here just large enough that you could see sunlight through it. Well, after last night that is no longer a problem... it has closed back up. Dave thinks we need more earthquakes to fix all of the imperfections of the house;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You're so good to jump up and grab your kids. We're the idiotic type that roll over, go back to sleep, and get crushed by our roof when it caves in!
And, I'm with you... it kept going and going...
You know you are having too many earthquakes when you can guess how big they are! I am glad everything and everybody is still safe!
You have such an amazing attitude about the whole thing. How long do these aftershocks go....I'm glad you all are safe.
Lynette- I was talking w/my architect neighbor & he said that with all of these earthquakes we always need to get to safety... you never know if it's going to get bigger or how much these buildings can take. I'm going to start making your kids sleep at my house;)
Post a Comment