Monday, December 3, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

We celebrated the Saturday after Thanksgiving because for some reason Dave doesn't get the day off in Chile;) Last year my mom was here (wahoo!) and we invited all of our gringo friends. This year we invited some of our closest Chilean friends so that they could experience a Thanksgiving. They were excited because they had all seen the event on tv & movies. The girls & I talked about how it was kind of like we were the pilgrims... in a new land, inviting those who have helped us adjust to a large meal to celebrate.

I was quite nervous because this year it was all us (ok, it was all me... Dave did make the Stove Top Stuffing & carve the turkey, so I guess I did have some help). The menu was very traditional & turned out really well (almost no leftovers...sad). We had turkey, orange-cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato souffle, pretzel jello salad, rolls (orange & regular) and pumpkin, banana cream, strawberry, and cran-apple pies. Chileans don't eat salts & sweets together, so I had a really hard time convincing everybody that the pretzel jello salad and sweet potatoes were part of the meal and not dessert.

1 comment:

Brooke Bennett said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I didn't cook anything for Thanksgiving this year. Good job!