Thursday, April 17, 2008

Never Would Have Guessed...


in a million years that I'd be living the life I am. It's hilarious. Tonight I was at a tea with the mom's of the children in Hailey's school class. There were 20 of us sitting in one of the ladies yards discussing vacations, school, etc. The conversation then changed to maids. Everyone was telling us about how hard it is to find a good maid; one lady has had about 10 maids in 2 years; another ladies maid stole all of her jewelry while she was vacationing; apparently Hailey's best friends maid loses everything, but they think she really steals it and plays dumb; one lady's maid quit because she was pregnant, and the lady was so sad because this maid was so good with cleaning and made the children happy... another lady just had to comment that apparently she made her husband happy as well... anyway....


While I was genuinely concerned about the challenges my friends have faced, I couldn't help but laugh inside. There is just so much to laugh about. For starters, what am I doing, sitting on the back porch of an amazingly huge house, talking with 20 ladies who are dressed to the nines and complaining about maids? It's hilarious to me. But they are my friends. What else made me laugh inside? I kept wondering what everybody would think if they knew I had spent the morning hanging out with a couple of friends, one of them who works as a maid. Scandalous, I know. Another laughable thing... I was thinking about how Dave has always wanted to work in South America. His bribe to me was always the same... if we lived there I could have a maid. Who knew that he wanted to live here that bad; for now this is my life. Not what I had imagined, but it's fun and full of surprises. Is your life all that you had imagined?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Better. I look around me and it is almost perfect.

Ammon said...

Nope. I don't think I would have ever guessed I'd live overseas. And, being a stay at home mom is definitely more challenging than I thought it would be.

Unknown said...

that is pretty funny! I definitely didn't see myself where I am now. Life is full of surprises. they always turn out for the better. I wish I had a maid! I am sure my husband would also love to live overseas!

Sara Ann said...

Actually my life is finally starting to go toward the direction I always thought it would. I would have never guessed I would be single until age 28, gone one a mission or moved back to St. George. But it has been good. I am excited to try the stay at home mom thing, but I would love to have a maid! Last night I was happy to give Tyler Brown a bath, but did NOT want to do the dinner dishes...shoot maybe I should move to South America too!

Clarke and Kamie said...

ha! thats funny. Its funny sometimes when you look around and can't believe you are doing what you are doing. clarke has a list he made in high school and one of the goals he had was to make $40k by the time he was 40! Ha!

Backwoods Browns said...

I know I didn't see myself doing what I am doing now, but then again it's a million times better than I could have imagined even with all the trials we have in our life!!

katharine said...

nope, never would have imagined that we'd have 4 kids and still be in school when we reached our 9-year anniversary (with no end in sight)! ... or that i wouldn't mind so very much.
and though half my neighbors are foreign, my life is soooo different from yours!

emily said...

That is so funny about you all's maids. When would we ever hear that coversation here in the states? Maria wanted so badly to come be our maid in the states and I had to explain that we do all that stuff ourselves in the states unless you are super rich. She just didn't get it. "You take care of two children and clean and cook??" LOL!

Backwoods Browns said...

Never imagined that it would be this good! Life has taken so many turns, and thankfully for the better!! It's amazing!

Sarah Bisel said...

No, I never would have guessed.....but I must say, my surprises are certainly less exciting than yours.