After about 8 months of uncertainty as far as where we would be living, I decided it might be fun to share just a little bit of the wonder we have experienced for so long with you (hence the poll rather than just telling you). But be glad, I'm telling you earlier than planned (closed the poll 10 hours early).
Sao Paulo, Brazil... we had been told that we would be moving there. Yamana has its operational headquarters there. I was not at all excited about the idea (except for the food... love the food). I just assumed that we would have guns pulled on us and that we'd be kidnapped. Plus, the idea of trying to learn another language at this point in time doesn't sound at all fun. After exchanging emails with Kim, whose husband is from Brazil (or should I say Brasil), I was finally OK with the move.
Toronto, Canada... once I was finally OK with moving to Brazil, somebody in the company from Brazil informed Dave that we were moving to Toronto instead (that's where Yamana Gold has its corporate headquarters). English. Not bad. I can do English (actually I'm often feeling like I'm fresh off a foreign-speaking mission because the English words just don't come... too bad the Spanish words don't either). Isn't it expensive in Toronto? I have imagined us living in a 1-bedroom apartment because we can't afford anything else. Plus the snow. I have quite enjoyed 3 years without snow.
Santiago, Chile... this has been a possibility for the last couple of years, but I'm not a big city fan (so are we moving to Reno?). Don't like the smog. More Spanish? No thank you. It is green, but there is also rain and the occasional snow. It is farther from the USA, but easier to get there (all flights leaving Chile go through Santiago). Although we already live in Chile, it would be like moving to a whole different country because Antofagasta and Santiago are so very different.
Reno, Nevada... 3 years ago we almost bought property in Reno. We figured the prices would continue to rise and that we would eventually end up living there (that's where Meridian Gold was based out of... although they were bought out by Yamana, there is still an office there and we are Nevada residents). Prices have since dropped so we are happy that we never found exactly what we were looking for. Reno has snow & casinos. Don't really like either of those. What do I like? Target. Chili's. WalMart (did I just admit that?). Olive Garden. Jamba Juice. I will stop now, but be assured the list continues and continues. Plus it's in the US. Love it there.
Why are we moving? I'll post those details later (still need to get a few facts straight with Dave so that I post accurately). Where are we moving? Santiago. And I am now happy with the move. The girls are excited to see snow and go to Fantasilandia. I am excited to live near a temple and see to Dave (we're hoping to find a home in walking distance to the office... no more driving 2 hours EACH way to work). I'm very sad to be leaving my dear friends in Antofagasta. I'm also sad not to be moving closer to any of my wonderful friends in the US. Life holds adventures for each of us, and it looks like our adventure in Chile is not yet over.

11 comments:
yay I was right! good luck with your move sounds very exciting! A new place and new people! That is always fun! when do you actually move? or do you know that yet!?
what a roller-coaster! it is so frustrating not being able to plan ahead, so i hope things will go more smoothly now. so you'll be there for a few years? or do you know anything about the timing yet?
I'm so sad to see you go (quiet sobbing). And, I'm so jealous that you get to live in Santiago (our first choice)!
I don't want you to move! I lived in Antofagasta for a whole month with you. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but I loved it. I guess Santiago will be cool though too...
-Kelsi White
I am happy to hear that you won't have to move to Brasil. While I love it...I am sure I wouldn't love to live there. At least you get to stay within the same language. Best wishes, I'm sure you'll do just great! ;)
WOW! I didn't realize you moving time had come already. When are you moving? Cool that you will be in Santiago! It's easier to travel to and from there and you don't have to learn another language!!
Oh man I was really hoping it would be Nevada. However I am sure it will be great. You guys would do great anywhere. How exciting. I can't wait to hear more about it. Is a trip to WI in the plans anytime soon? :)
Very cool! Now we really have to go back so we can visit. How long will you be in Santiago? Is there a time? I know you will LOVE it there. So many cool places to go and see. I wouldn't really worry about the snow with global warming and all (is that too pessimistic?). It's not like you'll be living out a Michigan winter!
-griselda
p.s. Vina del Mar is the best over the holidays!
cool! sounds exciting! although I am a little disappointed that Lehi wasn't in the running...
It sounds like your adventure continues! I'm sure you'll meet many more amazing people. Good luck with the move!
No need to come back to the states when you have it so good in a foreign country! I say take full advantage of all this adventure. Do you think we may still get to see you over the summer? We really need to catch up...
Post a Comment