Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

We really enjoyed General Conference this weekend. It was the first solemn assembly that the girls have participated in, so that was very special. I think I was about Hailey's age when we sustained President Benson as the Prophet. I remember the good feelings I had as I realized that I was participating in such an important event; I hope that Hailey and Ava will remember this Conference.

Yesterday we learned that our former Bishop was called to the 1st Quorum of the Seventy. When we first moved to Antofagasta Jorge F. Zeballos was our Bishop. I visit taught his wife, Carmen Gloria. Our family enjoyed visiting with them in their home, where they told us stories about Elder Holland visiting them in their home on several occasions. I took their 2 youngest children trick-or-treating with Hailey and Ava. We spent our first New Years Eve with them at the Castillo's house. I believe it was that night that they 'officially' announced to us that they would be leaving the ward during the next year, as Bishop Zeballos had just been called to serve as the mission president in the Chile Concepcion South Mission. Days before they left for the MTC in Provo, UT we went to visit the Zeballos family to say our final goodbyes. During our visit we learned that they would still be in Utah when the girls and I were planning on vacationing there. They wrote down my parents phone number, and while I was in Utah, Sister Zeballos called me to invite me to their setting apart at the MTC. It was a very amazing and spiritual experience for me. Elder Holland set them apart and there were truly miracles that took place in the room that day. I am very excited for the Zeballos family and for the new challenges and blessings that lay ahead of them.

3 comments:

Skeeutopia said...

So cool! Not only are you famous, but you're surrounded by famous people (ok, so it's not really about that, I know). I love that you have such close ties to your member friends in Chile. You are a great person to have as a friend.

katharine said...

isn't it fun to find out how connected we all are :)

Clarke and Kamie said...

wow--thats neat that you know them so well. wasn't conference great for our kids to witness? I just thought it was super special this time around--although I did miss seeing President Hinckley!