Friday, February 8, 2008

'Duh' Moment

I had a 'duh' moment this week. When we started our drive to Iquique on Monday I told Ruth that we have new tires so we wouldn't need to worry about getting a flat. When we had just over 2 hours left I realized that we did, in fact, have a flat tire... there was no other explanation for the way my car was behaving on the road (hard to steer, not a lot of control, strange pulling feeling, you know). I pulled over as soon as I could find a shoulder big enough only to find that all of the tires looked perfect. So I blamed it on the wind (needed to blame it on something other than myself). We didn't find out until the next morning that what we had experienced was a 6.3 earthquake. DUH! Have I not learned anything these last few months? We also learned that the road going into the city had been shut down for 2 hours because there were so many rocks that had fallen from the mountain. It reopened just in time for us... another 'duh' moment, as I had commented on our drive that there sure were a lot of rocks on the road.

8 comments:

Ammon said...

How was it? I bet you guys had a blast! I think I felt that earthquake and you'll be happy to know I was downstairs and our windows were shaking like CRAZY! Finally, I actually saw it.

Matt and Laci said...

Holy cow! I havent talked to you forever, I hear a little about your life from Beth, but that is like twice a year when I actutally talk to her, so I am glad for this blog thing so I can see what everyone is up too:) Your girls are so cute, and it looks like life is good for you. Have a wonderful day!!

Always Amy said...

Sheesh! That is so something I would say and do. It just wouldn't make sense until someone told you what was going on. I hope you will post some pics of your trip. I am beginning to live my adventures through other people and you are by far the most exotically adventureous!

katharine said...

so glad you were all safe!

Unknown said...

I am glad you are okay. You are one tough lady. Happy that it wasn't a flat though! ;)

emily said...

Another earthquake? Geez!! You guys are tough. Just taking it in stride like it's "just a flat tire". Love it!

Sara Ann said...

I want to see pictures from the trip!

katharine said...

you haven't posted on your blog in over a week, are you pregnant or something?