It has been months since since we announced we'd be moving to Santiago, but I haven't said why... here it goes. Right now we are in Antofagasta, Chile (where Dave was a missionary just about forever ago) because he is the controller for a gold mine 2 hours away. Yes, 2 hours. This is the closest city to the mine, so rather than living literally in the middle of nowhere, Dave has spent 4 hours a day in the car/bus for the last 3 years. The company is opening up a regional office in Santiago and Dave is trying to get it all put together. He'll be a regional controller - basically for the Spanish speaking countries, plus the USA. This means there will be travel involved (what's new?), but overall we should see more of each other. Where might he travel? The USA, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Columbia, and the Cayman Islands (I'm planning on traveling with him;)). Probably other countries as well... just can't remember which right now.
This is a great opportunity for Dave and the more I learn about Santiago, the more excited I get about the move. Love that there is a temple there. Love that it is green. Love that it is faster/cheaper to fly to the USA from there. Tomorrow I'll take the 6:00am flight (that means leaving the house at 4:15.. .happy birthday to me...) to Santiago to meet with our relocation lady and find exactly what area we want to live in, check out some schools, and see some houses. Once we find a house we'll be moving as soon as we can (sorry my dear friends in Antofagasta... got to do what's best for my family. Come & visit though!).
I thought I had found the perfect school for the girls, but we just learned the prices and don't know that it will be happening afterall (ok, so I still want them to go there, but don't know that we can get the companies approval for obvious financial reasons). I would even be able to check books out of the library- it has been 3 years since I've had a library. Sadness. Click here to see pictures of this beautiful school (Disclaimer: beautiful to me may not be beautiful to those of you who are in the USA). So what would it cost us? The one-time registration fee is $10,000/child (yes, a CHILD, not a family) and the monthly fee is $1,500 for 1st grade on up (the Pre-School would be a little bit cheaper for Ava). I thought we were paying a lot now for the girls schooling, but I honestly had no idea just how good we have it. Anyway, wish me luck in finding a good, CHEAP school tomorrow!

16 comments:
oh my! that sounds like admission for an ivy league elementary, bummer! good luck finding a second choice that will be worth your while.
with dave's new position, do you think you will still be returning to the states in the next few years?
That is a really beautiful school:) I hope it works out for your little cuties:)
the school looks AMAZING, but that tuition is ABSURD!!! and, take your time finding a house {wink, wink}!
hi kim, happened upon your blog when searching for info about antofagasta, I live in santiago. my kids go to nido, and let me assure you that many many many mining companies pay the fees for their employee's children, generally from 4 years up, but we have 3 girls in the school and it is standard practice for international families. Try to approach your husband's company with this in mind... if they know much about Santiago they will understand this is the regular school, especially for American Kids. Having said that, pretty much all of the local private schools teach in english (something we were not told when we moved here). Enjoy looking around.
Hey Kim,
We got the family pictures on our computer so the picture of your family (on our blog) has been adjusted.
Enjoy!
Reading about the school, it sounds like a great place for your children- that's from a teacher's perspective anyway. The facilities are beautiful as well. It helps a lot that they have small classroom sizes and that they only take mildly special ed. students. This allows teachers to focus on a more rigorous program of study and really truly teach. I hope you don't give up this school! Ask anyway- the worst they could say is no. Good luck! I hate moving!! :)
good luck with the move! i wish i was there so i could take your kids and help with the move. can i be there in spirit? good luck finding schools, maybe they'll give you the $$? It could happen.
Wowwie!! It must be a REALLY GOOD school! I hope you find something that will work for your kids!! I love moving.It's not fun packing but it is so much fun putting your "old" things into a new place! Change is fun and I hope you feel the same because it sounds like you will be doing it plenty more times in your life :)
I am with Eleasha on the move.. I love moving but I hate packing.. I love thowing away stuff that I hadn't used in a year.. Feels good to clean out and then re arrange a new place! Always fun! probably a little more difficult the more kids that come along. Good luck with the school! Sounds like someone knows a little bit about schools and mining companies paying for some.. I hope they will help you out!
Happy Birthday Kim!!!! I hope you do have a wonderful day and are able to get all the school stuff figured out. Holy buckets on the cost but hopefully it will be covered by Dave's company. Good luck.
Happy Happy Birthday:) Remember how we used to spend all of our birthdays together? Growing up was so much fun:)
Happy Birthday??? Well, I'm glad I happened upon that statement! Have a wonderful birthday, woman!! I hope you have a fantabulous birthday by getting the school you want for your girls. That IS a bit pricey! I thought I was paying a lot at the price tag of $10,000 - but that's straight tuition and for the WHOLE family. Dave never fails to remind me that their preschool costs more than his college did.
I'm so excited for you to be in Santiago! Our favorite store was Lider. So awesome - the Chilean equivalent of Meijer. Xmas shopping was the best there. I just can't stand the carts with the four turning wheels, though. I couldn't drive worth a darn - especially with a full cart.
Happy Birthday! (even though I told you yesterday, for today!)
Oh, I hope your serach for a new home and school and life went well for you. Good luck with all your new changes coming up. And, Happy late Birthday!
Wow. That sounds so exciting. You are so adventuresome! Congrats to Dave on the great new job. We aren't surprised that he is doing so well. Adam is sure that Dave is one of the greatest guys in the world. Good luck finding a new school! That tuition in insane!!
It is good you are staying in Chile, because your blog wouldn't sound as cute, "Chillin' in Brazil" tee hee. That school is beautiful. I wish I could put my children in a private school, but like you the price is so high. I hope you are wable to make work!
Good luck finding a home, school, and with the move.
Post a Comment