6 months ago today is one I will never forget. Not only was my adorable niece, Kaylee born, but it is also the day of the earthquake. The 7.7 earthquake. Where I couldn't get to Hailey. When I think back on the day of the biggest quake and the weeks of large aftershocks, so many emotions come flooding in.I am...
so grateful for the safety my family, and just about everybody
so grateful that it's over
so grateful for the prayers that were offered for our family
hopeful that we never experience a similar situation again
(especially if Dave is going to be out of town again)
It has been quite humbling watching and reading about the earthquake in China that occurred on Monday. The devastation has been so much worse than it was with our earthquake. The one in China was a 7.9, ours a 7.7. But only 2 people died in Chile. So far 15,000 people have died in China, and numbers are expected to rise significantly. I think there are three major factors in this, the biggest being the ground. Northern Chile is very solid rock. Although we are prone to quakes, it holds up well. Another factor is that the cities and towns in northern Chile are few and far between, unlike this densely populated area of China. The 3rd factor is that we have earthquakes all the time here, and the buildings are built to handle it. The earthquake building codes are strict, and Chileans take pride in the quality of their buildings.
Today, as I look back 6 months ago, I do feel blessed. Hailey and Ava are home today because of colds, and I couldn't be happier... just want to keep them close to me today. My heart and prayers are with those who have lost family, friends, homes and lives in China. It was bad enough not being able to get to Hailey at school- can't imagine if she had actually been trapped inside.
The overhang of the Radisson, which is about half-way between our home and the school.
3 comments:
wow--I had no idea that the Chile earthquake was almost as big as the one in China! You really are blessed that everyone in the family was ok. I'm sure you'll never forget that.
It's still weird to me that you're a professional at being in earthquakes when I haven't felt any. I can't imagine how scary it must've been when Hailey was stuck at school.
that is so scary. I am hoping I don't have to experience any kind of natural disaster like that while we are in florida! I can't imagine how frightening it must have been for you not to have Hailey with you!
Post a Comment