Monday, August 20, 2007

I'm a piano teacher

Today I officially started teaching piano. Once a week I'll be teaching Hailey & 2 of her friends (who are sisters, ages 6 & 7) a group lesson @ the church. I don't really want to teach a lot of people, so I'm doing this on my terms (hence the group lesson) I think it went pretty well, although it took all day to prepare, as I had to learn a lot of musical terms in Spanish. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to teach the 7 year old than her sister & Hailey... maybe it's age, maybe it's personality, I'm not sure. I think that I may need to end up teaching her a private lesson & then Hailey & the 6 yr old a group lesson- we shall see. Oh, these little girls don't have a piano, and so I gave them my cardboard keyboard that comes with the church's Keyboard Course to practice on. Their dad learned to play simplified hymns on a 'keyboard' of clothespins painted white & black.

Also, this coming Sunday a Sr. sister missionary & I will begin group lessons for people in our ward... I think adults. We will be using the Keyboard Course. If all goes well I hope to have a course for 2 people from each ward in the Stake, and when they are done they can teach it in their individual wards. I read that idea in the Keyboard Course manual today & it really makes sense to me.

No comments: