Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake Preparedness

I've been thinking about this post for a long time. I was going to write it a year ago. Then I was going to write it on the 1 year anniversary of our 8.8 earthquake (February 27). Obviously that hasn't happened. But today, after reading about the 8.9 earthquake and tsunami in Japan, I decided it's past time. This picture is of the tsunami crashing into Japan this morning... it absolutely took my breath away when I first saw it... it reminded me so much of visiting a little town called Dichato last year after the tsunami... such devastation.

Hopefully you are already doing these things, but I wasn't. But since our earthquake, I have. They are now habit, part of my life. Hopefully I won't have such an experience again, but if I do I'll be better prepared.

  • Keep slip-on shoes next to your bed at night.
  • Keep your car at least 1/2 full of gas.
  • Sleep in pj's (nothing like running outside in the middle of the night without them to convince you of the importance of this one... take my word for it).
  • Keep a flashlight next to your bed.
  • If you work out of the home, keep a 72 hour kit at your work (in addition to the one at home). If your car is unusable, the roads are bad, etc. you will be grateful for the extra supplies on your walk home.
  • Talk with your children's school... see what measures they have taken to prepare for a disaster (my children's school has food to last weeks, as well as great emergency plans all in place. I have heard of parents filling a large plastic bin with emergency supplies for their children's classrooms as well).
  • Keep your tent and sleeping bags near your 72 hour kits for easy access.
  • Make sure every member of the family knows the basics of disaster safety.

1 comment:

Suzette said...

We don't get many natural disasters here in Wyoming, other than the usual sub zero weather and storms. BUT last week we had a FHE lesson on fire safety and emergency 911 calls. It went well up until the end when all of our children were in tears worried about different scenerios. I have thick skin though and felt it was a necessary discussion! btw, I haven't hear from my sis-in-law Naoko yet. I believe her parents lived in the town where the tsunami hit, it sounds familiar anyway.