Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's True

On Sunday Dave was set apart as Bishop of our ward. I have had many thoughts and feelings going through my mind about this change in our lives. Everything from 'we're too young for such an experience' (even though my mom was also 28 with 3 little girls when my dad was called as Bishop), to excitment for the challenges that are ahead of us, as well as nervousness for those same challenges. Although these next years won't always be easy ones, I think they'll be ones we'll look back on with fondness. I have never doubted Dave's ability or worthiness to serve in this capacity, but I have doubted my ability to serve as a Bishops wife. I've always looked up to the wives of my past Bishops and I just worry that I lack so many of their quailities. At first I was feeling very overwhelmed (haha... and I'm not even the Bishop, just his wife... poor Dave!), but then I thought of my favorite scripture, "For with God, nothing shall be impossible" (Luke 1:37) and realized that as long as I allow God to help me during my times of need, as well as when I'm not feeling so needy, all will be well.

Ava and Jinnie seem a bit clueless as to their dad's new calling. Hailey on the other hand has pondered it a great deal and is loving having conversations about it. Here are my 2 favorite things she has said thus far:


  1. As the US phone (Vonage), Chile home phone & Dave's cell phone were all ringing at the same time: "Wow, with dad's new calling we sure are popular... at least dad is popular anyway."
  2. A conversation between Dave (D) and Hailey (H) regarding Sundays blog post...
  • H- "So daddy, when you're not Bishop anymore mommy will have to take down her blog post, right?"
  • D- "She'd better!"

16 comments:

emily said...

That is crazy! Good luck to both you and Dave. You will both be good at your jobs! :)

Brooke Bennett said...

Hailey is too cute! Kim, you're gonna be a great Bishops wife! You under estimate your qualities and abilities big time.

Paige said...

You're going to be a wonderful bishops wife :) And your daughter is HILARIOUS! hahaha LOVE her!

lynette said...

you guys are on the path to mission presidents!!

Amanda said...

Congrats, that is so neat! I'm sure you'll have many amazing experiences in the years ahead.

katharine said...

you are exactly the kind of person who would make a great bishop's wife. good luck to both of you in the challenges ahead.

Tami said...

Yea! I am so happy for your ward! Dave will be an excellent bishop and you will be the perfect bishops wife. I am not surprised by this news at all. Adam and I think the world of you guys. What a great family you are! You should give the Hendricks a call, they might have some great advice for you. Good luck with everything!

Clover said...

Kim, even when we were in Beehives together I wouldn't have been surprised if someone told me you were going to be a bishop's wife. I would have been surprised if they told me it was going to be in Chile, though!

Mitchell Family said...

Ohhh, Congrats! Good Luck to you both! We just celebrated Kody being released from EQP, it is so nice to have my hubby back on Sunday mornings! I hope you get ready with kids better than I do :o)!! You will be a great Bishops wife!

Stephanie said...

I send my love and best wishes to you and Dave. As far as church service goes - we all have to take a turn, so get going. Merri-lu received some advice as she entered the bishop wife stage. Go to all the activities and look pretty. You can do both.

Backwoods Browns said...

Such a fun and exciting new calling! At least the saying about the Bishops children being the worst won't be true with your sweet girls! :) (I haven't seen it true for many though, so I really don't know who started that one)
You'll do just wonderful being the "Bishops Wife" Good luck to both of you, but especially your dear Hubby!
I love what you daughter said! Too cute!

Bj said...

My condolences to the new Bishop. It will be great to listen to Dave in General Conference a few years from now. I can say, "Hey! I taught that guy in missionary prep at Ricks College!"

Good Luck Dave!

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

Congrats! I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience!

Tami said...

Hi Kim! I wanted to let you know that I am switching our blog to a private blog. I would love to send you an invite but for some reason I don't have your email address. Will you email it to me? Thanks! tamilsmith@aol.com

Unknown said...

Katrina told me the NEWS...hopefully it is good news...SO excited for your new adventure.

Rhitzclan said...

Wow! You are a Bishop's wife! That would be a big overwhelming I think- but I'm sure it comes with many blessings. You will both be able to serve so many people. I also just read about your going to the orphanage. Is there any way these children can be adopted?? There are so many women who can't have babies today- and these children need homes!!! Thank you for your service to them.