Only about 6 of the 36 children that week were actual orphans. Most have parents, but have been abandoned, abused and sold for drugs. The youngest child was 2 weeks. The oldest almost 5 years old. All have the same size of very small crib. All spend their nights and most of their days in their tiny cribs. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are put in the blender to form a mush. One day we bought the older children McDonalds. What fun it was to see the excitment in their eyes! The children's teeth are decaying. I looked for toothbrushes and saw none. I asked if I could purchase some and was told yes. Now they all have a toothbrush with their name on it. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they are being used now that we're not there. They have rooms to play in, but only go to them about twice a week, for an hour or so. Many movies are watched while sitting in their tiny cribs. Often they are fed in their cribs as well. It was so wonderful to get to know these sweet children who are being punished for the choices of their parents. Saying goodbye to them on our last day was not fun. But we plan to go back.
- web/blog design
- ideas for the name of the website
- time
- ideas
I think that's it for now. Once the website is up and running we can start on the childrens needs (cribs, volunteers, recreational therapist, diapers, clothing, toothbrushes, etc). Thanks in advance.

14 comments:
i can donate my time! just tell me what to do!
I would like to help! I can't come down there, but I could get people in my ward to donate things/money I am sure, people are always talking about wanting to do more humanitarian aide, so this would be great! Plus I am on the enrichment board, I have power! mwah ha ha (evil laugh) :)
I would love to help too. Just let me know what you would like me to do.
I would love to help. I can get a project going in my ward. Just let me know what we can do, I will do my best to help out with it.
i'm in! i'm willing to do the website/blog design--whatever you need. Also, I think Weebly offers a free website.
thank you for sharing more about this amazing experience. that just put me in tears.
are the children there permanently? do they get adopted? can they?
i googled 'free website' and found
http://www.bravenet.com/
it looks like a site that would be easy to use, but i don't have any experience with anything other than blogger.
i checked and
www.orphansneedhelp.net is available for free
but maybe you can think of a better name.
I know BYU had a study abroad to work in an orphanage in Romania or somewhere. Perhaps with some publicity, a university could set up a similar program there?? Sounds like a place where volunteers would really be useful; since what the children are lacking is interaction.
I want to come down :( I cried when I read this post. No joke. I'M TALKING TO DAD AGAIN!!!! I WANT TO COME SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. What a wonderful thing that you were able to go and help at the orphanage. I would love to help with donating money or any other things that the children need. Do they need blankets, quilts, clothes? I wish that I could go there and take my kids with me. What a wonderful experience for children. As you probably know, Adam and I met on a BYU internship in S. Africa and when our kids are teenagers we plan to take them back to Africa with us through a group called Mothers Without Borders. With this organization Adam can do medical screenings and our kids and I can hold and play with the kids in the orphanage. I think that it will be great for our kids to see what life is like for others. This organization recommends kids come that are 12 and older. It is also quite expensive, with our flights and the costs of the organization it will cost $4000-5000 per person. Maybe it would be cheaper and better for us to go to the orphanage you went to. Anyway, sorry about the novel. I am inspired by your ideas and we would love to help. Keep us posted!
:( My goodness, thats heartbreaking. I mean, I know it goes on but its so hard to hear a first hand account. I'd love to help any way I can, just let me know what is needed. I wish I could go down and volunteer somewhere like that but I know it takes a huge toll on you emotionally after a while. Anyways, let me know what I can do to help.
I have a friend here who started something like what you are talking about for orphanages in Romania. I'll get her email address and give it to you if you are interested in getting some info that way. She's been doing it for a few years and I think she set it up as a non profit. I'll let you know...
There may be a lot of legal requirements as well. Even though you are based in Chile, if you are soliciting funds in the US you may have to register here. I know Utah has a Charitable Solicitations Act which requires organizations (even individuals) to register before soliciting charitable contributions in the state. Plus, if you want donations to be tax deductible, you'll have to register with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. But, I've never done this before (certainly never in Chile). I don't know if the Church gives out advice on setting this sort of thing up, but it might not hurt to ask around to see if they do. Sorry to raise more issues than I solved.
It breaks my heart seeing and hearing things like these! I wish I could take them all and make it better. As far as the website and things go I can't really help there but I would love to help! I am looking forward to the website or blogger!
My heart hurts for those children. So sad. I am willing to help as well.
Kim,
Do you know any information about adoption from Chile? I would love to help in any way that I can, especially would love to come with some of my friends and take some of these babies home with us if that is a possibility.
Let me know how I can help. I am in tears right now and ready to to whatever is needed of me.
Loves.
Post a Comment