Apparently she is very sweet because a deer tick recently decided to drink her blood and in return gave her Lyme disease. The joys. Fortunately we caught the bulls-eye surrounding the bite rather early and with the help of antibiotics she should be just fine. I will start being a better mother and sending my kids outside with bug spray and check them for ticks when they return home (which is not nearly as fun as Brad Paisley's song, 'Ticks,' makes it sound).

3 comments:
Ugh, I've had a lot of ticks! And by a lot I think it's somewhere around 15, though only 4 have actually managed to dig in. Three of those 4 were caught the same day. I can honestly say they scare me more than spiders and any other insect.
Fortunately I've never ended up with Lyme Disease. The worst one I had was in there for over a week and still gives me the willies to think about it.
I absolutely will not let myself or my kids walk or play in weeds or really tall grass, even with bug spray because from experience, bug spray does not always work!!! I went on a pioneer trek and sprayed myself like crazy (with deet and everything) for those two days and checked myself as often as I could for them because we were walking through fields. At the end there was one digging into the upper nook of my ear, one digging in to the back of my neck, and one crawling on my dress.
Also there's more than Lyme Disease that they can carry so, yeah, be extra cautious! Long sleeves, long pants, and if you're really paranoid like me, you'd tuck their pants into their socks and their shirts into their pants!
One last thing, spring is the worst time to get them because they are more abundant so be extra vigilant when it rolls around next year!
I'm so sorry! We had a lot of experience with ticks living in the places we did! I actually got Rocky Mountain Tick Fever (I think that's what it was....) when I was like six and I got really sick, I remember my whole body hurt a lot and my parents slept on the floor beside me on the couch. So, I feel your pain! I'm glad that it was caught early and that there's medicine! Good luck! You have to be careful, but you have to live too! :)
Poor Jinnie.
Also, Brad Paisley is awesome.
And ticks suck (pun intended).
Post a Comment