Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July

We spent the morning at the US Embassy in Chile with the Obamas.


The US Ambassador to Chile, Paul E. Simons, shared a few words after the flag raising.


Even though we froze, it was a great experience to be at the embassy with so many other expats from the USA to celebrate our Independence Day.






After the embassy we had 40 people in our home today for a BBQ to celebrate. I forgot to take pictures until the last of our friends left. This is about the only part of the house that wasn't too messy to take a picture of afterwards (it was COLD and so most people chose to stay inside... that's a lot of people for our house so it was a bit messy, but worth it).
I find myself thinking of some loved ones a little more today. I think of my Grandpa White, who served in WWII. He received a purple heart. A few weeks ago while visiting my parents I looked at his medals in awe of his great love and sacrifice for his country.
Dave has 2 brothers, John and Tom, who are currently serving in the Army and Marines.
Between the two of them they have been all over the world, including
Iraq
&
Afghanistan
I am amazed that there are such wonderful people in the world,
who give up everything for
my freedom
and yours.
Thank you.

10 comments:

Brooke Bennett said...

Love your post except for that crappy Obama picture at the top. Bleh.(you guys look good in it though!) Sounds like you had a fun party!

Unknown said...

how fun.. and I guess it kinda stinks that you had to go back to chile and have it be so cold when it was warmer here for you.

Joel said...

Are you wearing your new coat in that first picture?

Ponczoch Family said...

Nope... not the new one. Just another one. But if I had known who I would be getting my picture taken with, you had better bet I would have chosen my new one:)

Sarah Bisel said...

All I have to say is the cold looked inviting! happy 4th of july!

Rhitzclan said...

Haha! Love the Obama picture! That is hysterical. Sounds like a fun day, even though it was cold. I have that SAME Old Navy stars and stripes dress!! I put it on Kolea for the 4th. Unfortunately I'm lame enough that I never took a picture of her in it. Your girls are ADORABLE!

Backwoods Browns said...

Sorry you had to be so close to the "O"s ;) hahaha, but sounds like a slamming fun party with plenty of people :) Your girls look adorable too!!!!

Bj said...

When are you guys moving to Tucson so we can have 4th of July BBQs again?

Syd said...

Sounds like you were able to have a great day even without being in the good old US of A. It was weird for us not to be in Michigan, we've had some awesome traditions out there...but we started new ones with family this year. It's good to be back online! :)

Mitchell Family said...

You guys look so cute in your coats and hats! Makes me a little sick that it's 100+ at our house.