Thursday, March 11, 2010

Like a Boat

That's what it feels like these days (especially today). Like we're on a boat. The aftershocks keep coming. Even when they're not big, you can tell that the earth is not stable. As of 3 days ago we had experienced 172 aftershocks 5.0 and bigger. The number has definitely risen today. We had a 6.9, 6.7 and 6.0 within an hour of each other, plus many aftershocks followed. Today is the first time that I've experienced such strength in an aftershock from outside... crazy to watch the house and windows shake so hard.

Today I have been nothing but pleased with the girls school. I left to pick them up after the 2nd big one today. The children were completely calm. The teachers were completely calm. They very strictly followed safety procedures (which they have practiced since their first day of school on Tuesday). After talking with the headmaster I learned that the school has food and water for each student for 10+ days. What a blessing, and a relief.

Well, I'm ready for bed, and praying that we have a calm night. Keep the people of Chile in your prayers.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't even imagine! You guys are so strong and we are praying for your continued safety.

Backwoods Browns said...

Crazy for you! Wow, I bet they are so clam because it's a daily thing there now. So nice to know that the school has back up food and water though!

Tami said...

We will definitely keep Chile in our prayers. Adam and I were talking about all that you guys are experiencing and going through. You guys are amazing!